3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2020 1:29 PM by Henry Rosenberg

Transcriptions with descriptions

Lauren B Wayfarer

I'm noticing a lot of "finished" transcriptions in the Roosevelt collection that have descriptions (underlined, stamp, etc.). Should these be reopened so we can edit them to match the instructions for transcribing or LoC?

Here's an example:

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/rough-rider-bull-moose-theodore-roosevelt/1-aug-1759-mar-6-1901-rough-rider-to-vice-pres…

• Re: Transcriptions with descriptions
          Henry Rosenberg Tracker

I don't think those notations are what LOC wants. If I see them I usually request reopening.

BTW, you can request reopening through the transcription site. At the bottom of the page if you click on Questions? and then Technical Issue? it takes you to a form where you can directly request they reopen.

Take care,

Henry

Lauren B Wayfarer

Thanks, I agree, this isn't what they want. There are many of these in this collection, so I wasn't sure if it should just be left alone in this case.

Thanks for the tip on requesting to reopen!

1 person found this helpful
                  Henry Rosenberg Tracker

I go back and forth with this. I tend to be very picky and sort of a perfectionist. My feeling is that if we take the time now to get it "right" now it will be as close to perfect forever. I come across completed documents with many [?] and if I feel I can figure out the words, I will ask them to reopen. In my opinion, LOC expects us to be our own judge so do what you feel is right. There are so many layers of editing that others will change things if need be.