1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 17, 2020 11:30 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking traveling musician Willard Barnett

Pamela Snyder Newbie

How would I find a traveling musician from the 1930s or 1940s? I am looking for information regarding Willard Smith Barnett (or Barnette).  I was told he was a musician who traveled around the country with a band but I don't know much else.

• Re: Seeking traveling musician Willard Barnett
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Snyder,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1930 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1940 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about Willard Smith Barnett if he stayed in an area long enough to be counted. The 1940 Census schedules are digitized and available using the Catalog. See NARA’s 1940 Census Records web page for more information.  For access to the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For information about the U.S. Census, see the Census Bureau technical documentation and questionnaires.

You may wish to search Ancestry.com for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, some of the images from Ancestry are available for free on Family Search or at your local library. Many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

In addition, we suggest that you review NARA’s Resources for Genealogists, as well as the FamilySearch Research wiki for United States Genealogy.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!