5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2022 11:23 AM by David Grob

    Seeking military records of George E. Mongrain


      Seeking military records of my father George E. Mongrain.  He served in WWII and was in the 82nd and 101st Airborne  Divisions.

        • Re: Seeking military records of George E. Mongrain
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Here is some information below.


          Name:George E Mongrain
          Name (Original):MONGRAIN GEORGE E
          Event Type:Military Service
          Event Date:29 Dec 1941
          Term of Enlistment:Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
          Event Place:Ft Bliss, El Paso, Texas, United States
          Race:American Indian
          Citizenship Status:citizen
          Birth Year:1919
          Education Level:2 years of high school
          Civilian Occupation:Farm hands, animal and livestock
          Marital Status:Single, without dependents
          Military Rank:Private
          Army Branch:Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
          Army Component:6
          Source Reference:Civil Life
          Serial Number:18015940
          Affiliate ARC Identifier:1263923
          Box Film Number:02672.124






          • Re: Seeking military records of George E. Mongrain
            Elliot Schneider Guide



            I have a book on the 101st AB and did find him listed. Said he was with the 2nd BN, Co. E,  327th GIR (Glider Infantry Regiment). You may want to look for morning reports as well.



            • Re: Seeking military records of George E. Mongrain
              Sylvia Naylor Scout

              Dear Mr. Mongrain,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              We suggest that you request your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 and for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes 71 file units of the 82nd Airborne Division and 41 file units of the 101st Airborne Division during WWII. We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 82nd and the 101st Airborne Divisions. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


              We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!


              • Re: Seeking military records of George E. Mongrain
                David Grob Adventurer
                1. Mongrain,

                While looking through my father-in-law’s military records, I found the orders that assigned your father to Company E, 327th Glider Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. The first image shows the orders, and the second image shows your father’s assignment to Company E.

                I wish you continued success with your research.