4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2020 5:53 PM by cecil stevens

Seeking records of 4th Battalion, 164th Depot Brigade

cecil stevens Newbie

During WWI, 06/18/18 - 02/12/19 Where was 4th Battalion, 164th Depot Brigade located? Before becoming injured, my father was assigned to this unit.  I would like to know where it was located.

• Re: Seeking records of 4th Battalion, 164th Depot Brigade
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mr. Stevens,

Your father was most likely stationed sometime at Camp Funston this is were the 164th Depot Brigade would have been stationed. The role of depot brigades was to receive and organize recruits, provide them with uniforms, equipment and initial military training, and then send them to France to fight on the front lines. The depot brigades also received soldiers returning home at the end of the war and completed their out processing and discharges.

Do you have any additional information on your father like a name or DOB, place of birth?

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

cecil stevens Newbie

Thanks for the information.  The information that I received on NA Form 13038 from NARA, perhaps because of the 1973 fire, differs from information that I have found during my recent family search of Census/VA records by several months. This could be a transcribing error from alternative documents since the 1973 fire destroyed many of the original 1912 - 1959 personnel files.

This is why I wanted to find out about his Unit, see if he had been deployed or not and find out how he had come about the injuries that would have cut short his enlistment.  Rebecca gave me a link for Hospital and Infirmaries records for the period 1917 - 1920,  so I will take a look at that also.

Thanks again,

Cecil Stevens

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Stevens,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located General Orders of Units, 1917 - 1919 in the Records of U.S. Army Continental Commands (Record Group 393) that includes the 164th Depot Brigade while at Camp Funston, Kansas. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

We also located the Historical Reports of Hospitals and Infirmaries, 5/1/1917 - 5/31/1920 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) that includes the 164th Depot Brigade in Boxes 1708-1710. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful