2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2020 10:16 AM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking military records for Sgt Paul J Vargo


      I am seeking military records for Sgt. Paul J Vargo.

        • Re: Seeking military records for Sgt Paul J Vargo
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          You have any other information such as DOB and place of birth, and branch of service. What methods have you tried already to obtain his military records?





          • Re: Seeking military records for Sgt Paul J Vargo
            Holly Rivet Tracker

            Dear Mr. Vargo,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from service during WWI and prior to the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


            We hope this information is helpful.



            Holly Rivet

            1 person found this helpful