1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 13, 2020 10:22 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking military records for William August Mais


      I'm look for (William August Mais) my grandfather's military records, from WWII Army Air Corps.  My family had searched a while ago, but was told all his records were lost in the St Louis fire. Is there any chance of finding information elsewhere?

        • Re: Seeking military records for William August Mais
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Mais,


          Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Additionally, the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force/Air Force units. If you know the unit he served with, a search of the Air Force History Index to the microfilm could be conducted. Please note, though, that these records do not generally contain information about individuals, but they might provide interesting context for your research. You can contact RDT2 at archives2reference@nara.gov for further assistance with these records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from [RDT2 and NPRC]. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


          Finally, unit histories and supporting documents of Army Air Force and Air Force units are in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112-6424. These files often include historical reports. Please call (334) 953-2395 or write to that office for further information concerning these records. The website is https://www.afhra.af.mil/. Again, these records are not likely to contain information about individuals, but they may provide some other relevant information.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!