3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2020 5:46 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking Military records of parents


      I can't find my Dad's or Mom's Air Force records. I have looked everywhere. I have gotten two week trials for newspapers, genealogy websites and I have an account on Fold3, I have looked in the National Archives, and Air bases, and I can't find anything. Well, I found an article in a paper in Florida about my Dad, but that was it. I am able to find ancestors that fought in every single war on both domestic sides; but nothing on my parents! My Dad was a Veteran of WWII, Korean & Vietnam Wars. My Mom only served until she was discharged. Does anyone have any idea of where or what I can do to find them? Thanks

        • Re: Seeking Military records of parents

          Hi Lauri,


          Thank you for posting to the History Hub.


          Can you give us his and her name?



          • Re: Seeking Military records of parents
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            It might be beneficial for you to seek out help from the State Veterans Service Office. This would be the state that he or she reside when enlisted and returning. Many Veterans recorded their discharge papers with the local county recorder office, and through county Veterans service offices. They did this for various state Veterans benefits.


            If you happen to know what state I would be glad to help you navigate.





            Elliot Schneider

            • Re: Seeking Military records of parents
              Thomas Richardson Navigator

              Dear Ms. Rowan,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              We suggest that you request a copy of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces prior to 1958 and served during the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!