1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 6, 2020 1:40 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking annuity roll for Minnesota Chippewa tribe

Caresse Gurno Newbie

I am seeking the annuity roll of April 14, 1941 for Minnesota Chippewa tribe. I am trying to find blood quantum for my great-grandfather (Fond du lac) and grandmother (White Earth).

• Re: Seeking annuity roll for Minnesota Chippewa tribe
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Gurno,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled the Annuity Payment Rolls, 1841 - 1949 in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that includes annuity records of the Consolidated Chippewa Agency. These records are not digitized and are arranged chronologically, and thereunder for the most part, alphabetically by name of tribe or band.  For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

If you are researching for genealogical purposes and not tribal membership, we suggest you search the US Indian Census Rolls, which often note blood quantum.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]