3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2020 11:00 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking service records for James W Graves, Jr

    Tarvah McGinty Newbie

      This is my father, and he served as a radioman in the U.S. Navy during WWII, and the Korean War. He was supposed to have received an award for meritorious conduct, a ribbon bar of the Navy Unit Commendation awarded the U.S. Naval Communication Intelligence Organization for service during the period 7 December 1941 to 2 September 1945. Because of the nature of the services performed by this unit, no publicity was given to his receipt of this award. Signed by Joe H. Floyd, Officer-in-charge, Medals and awards Section. I would like to have more information about this award, and about my father's participation.

        • Re: Seeking service records for James W Graves, Jr
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

          Dear Mr. McGinty,


          Thank you for posting your request on the History Hub.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          The National Archives has no authority to issue, replace, or to determine eligibility for medals or awards.  You should write to the Navy Personnel Command (PERS-312E), 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington, TN 38055-3120, which has jurisdiction over such matters. 


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          1 person found this helpful