2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2020 9:30 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking my biological father

cheryl Reed Newbie

I am looking for my biological Father.  I do have some information. He lied about his first name and my mother doesn't remember any last name. He  said he wasn't married and he was.  The year was 1949 and he was stationed at the Enid Air Force Base just outside Enid, Oklahoma. The name was later changed to Vance Air Force Base. Information I do know -- He was in the Army Station on the Air Force side of the Base Ground Support Motor Pool. I need a list of names of the men who served in that unit during June, July, and August 1949. I know he requested a transfer and was transferred in July or August. The reason I ask for June is so I can compare the lists. I would like to know something about him and medical information, if possible.The information can be passed on to my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren I have now and future generations. Just want the information. My mom did marry before I was born. He knew about her condition so I had a great dad. If you could please please get me the information I need I would be forever grateful!

• Re: Seeking my biological father
          Alice Lane Scout

Hi Cheryl,

Welcome to History Hub,

I had a thought about your problem. Perhaps it would be a good idea to invest in a DNA test at Ancestry.com...you might find his relatives there.

Best Wishes.

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

• Re: Seeking my biological father
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Reed,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force/U.S. Air Force units. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located 3 files pertaining to Vance Air Force Base and 7 files that pertain to Enid Army Air Field during 1948-1950 . Please read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. Since the reel numbers begin with A or B, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to them.

Morning reports for Army units (from November 1, 1912 to 1959) and Air Force units (from September 1947 to June 30, 1966) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Additional unit histories and supporting documents of Army Air Force and Air Force units are in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112-6424.  These files often include historical reports.  Please call (334) 953-2395 or write to that office for further information concerning these records. The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research.

1 person found this helpful