2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2020 9:48 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking to correct DD-214 by adding awards & commendations

    Chad Lewis Newbie

      How do I go about having awards and commendations added to my DD-214 that were not put on it originally?

        • Re: Seeking to correct DD-214 by adding awards & commendations
          Elliot Schneider Navigator



          Do you have any additional information. It really depends on branch of service, and really what you are trying to prove. Give you an example my father spent 28 years in the Army Reserves and was never issued the Army Reserve Gorces Medal.


          Long story short I had obtain his pay stubs from DFAS and Annual points statement. Then submitted paperwork to the Army Awards and Decorations Branch for approval. Then they submitted orders and sent medal. Also had them correct his discharge to reject unit war credit for amphibious assult landings.


          So it really depends on what branch, many have their own way dealings, and you may need to show burden of the proof.



          For army you cannot Reccomend yourself

          You need to find someone in direct contact or knowledge of such events. I've heard of some veterans using Congressional help in getting recommendations approved.




          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking to correct DD-214 by adding awards & commendations
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

            Dear Mr. Lewis,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The National Archives does not make alterations of any kind to the records in our holdings., including DD-214s  In order to request a correction you will need to submit a DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Records.  The second page outlines which address you must send it to depending on your branch of service.  Please visit the National Personnel Records Center’s web page on the topic for more information.


            We hope this is helpful.