2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2020 10:01 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking military information of Elmer H. Jacobsen


      Seeking any military information for Elmer H. Jacobsen who was in the Army enlisted on 9/20/39.

        • Re: Seeking military information of Elmer H. Jacobsen
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Curran,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the World War II Enlistment Records on the National Archives’ Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the following entry for JACOBSEN#ELMER#H.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information you do not know you may leave it blank or provide an estimate.  However, the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military information of Elmer H. Jacobsen
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Here is some information. Also since he was from the Illinois and Chicago area I would strongly request information from them they might have something on your father.


            Springfield Office

            Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs
            833 South Spring Street
            P.O. Box 19432
            Springfield, IL 62794-9432
            Phone: 217-782-6641
            Fax: 217-524-0344

            Chicago Office

            George Dunn County Building
            69 West Washington
            Suite 1620
            Chicago, Illinois  60602
            Phone 312-814-2460
            Fax number 312-814-2764
            Toll Free 800-437-9824

            Department Contacts

            DepartmentPhone Number
            DirectorChicago 312-814-2460
            Springfield 217-782-6641
            Assistant DirectorChicago: 312-814-2460
            Springfield: 217-782-6641
            Chief Legal Counsel312-814-5391
            Communication Manager/
            Media Queries


            Information Technology217-782-4062
            Legislative Liaison217-524-7278
            Procurement Officer217-785-7813
            MIA/POW Scholarship217-782-3564
            War Graves217-782-6643
            Field Services/Service Offices312-814-2745
            State Approving Agency217-782-7838
            Veterans' Cash Grant                                           217-782-6153



            Name:Elmer H Jacobsen
            Name (Original):JACOBSEN ELMER H
            Event Type:Military Service
            Event Date:20 Sep 1939
            Term of Enlistment:0
            Birth Year:90
            Education Level:4 years of high school
            Civilian Occupation:Unskilled occupations in manufacture of miscellaneous electrical equipment, n.e.c.
            Marital Status:Widower or widow, without dependents
            Army Branch:Signal Corps
            Army Component:Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
            Serial Number:06912875
            Affiliate ARC Identifier:1263923
            Box Film Number:00421.35



            Hope this helps,


            Elliot Schneider