2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2020 11:32 AM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking information on Roy Smith


      Hello, Hoping someone will be able to help my find my missing African American GI grandfather before it is too late for my dad. His name was Roy Lee Smith and he served in the Bristol/Gloucester area as a Technician 5th Grade in WW2. He was still posted there at the end of January 1945 when my dad was born as they have a picture together. We have no other identifying information sadly apart from the picture. Can anyone help? Even give us pointers where to look? DNA tests sadly hasn't helped us at all.

        • Re: Seeking information on Roy Smith
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

          This is the only African-American with the name Roy Lee Smith listed in the US Army enlistment database at NARA.

          Smith, Roy Lee
          enlisted Ft Benjamin Harrison IN
          enlisted 12 Oct 1943
          born KY
          Negro, US citizen
          year of birth 1911
          army serial number 35734152



          Although the below information from the social security applications & claims files state that this person is white, when I checked the 1920 US census the family were listed as Negro.  With the same birthdate and state of birth as the person listed on the WWII draft card, I am certain they are the same person.  Of course I don't know if it is the person you are looking for.

          Name: Roy Lee Smith
          [Roy L Smith]
          Gender: Male
          Race: White  [I think this is wrong]
          Birth Date: 24 Jan 1911
          Birth Place: Burgin, Kentucky
          [Burgrin, Kentucky]
          Death Date: 14 Sep 1989
          Claim Date: 10 Oct 1972
          Father: John Smith
          Mother: Jane Pane
          SSN: 404128558
          Death Certificate Number: 173258 [died in Los Angeles CA]
          Type of Claim:
          Duplicate request; evidence of identity only submitted.
          Notes: 28 Oct 1980: Name listed as ROY LEE SMITH; 03 Oct 1972: Name listed as ROY L SMITH


          WWII draft card

          • Re: Seeking information on Roy Smith
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Ms. Smith,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!