1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2020 12:17 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking my bootcamp photos

Daniel Morefield Newbie

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to locate bootcamp photos from 1987, US Navy, San Diego......   Anyone done this kind of thing?  Could use some guidance. Thanks

• Re: Seeking my bootcamp photos
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Morefield,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Group photographs were not considered permanent records unless the photographs were taken by official military photographers usually for publicity. Photographs of various U.S. Navy activities from 1940 to 2007 (that are permanent) are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

Usually, the instructor of a training facility paid for a civilian photographer to come to the base to take pictures, These photographs sometimes are filed in the records of the unit but oftentimes they are just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept.

The Museum of the American Sailor is creating a collection of "Boot Camp" photographs, which the collection is primarily made up of donations. The photograph you seek may have been donated.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!