3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2020 1:04 PM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking immigration records of Marie Bois


      My grandmother immigrated from Canada to the US when she married and I am trying to obtain a legal [notarized?] copy of the immigration paperwork.  It would be from New Brunswick to Maine in 1909/1910.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Marie Georgiana Zaida Bois married Eugene Cyr Albert on 22 June. Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking immigration records of Marie Bois
          Susannah Brooks Ranger

          Ancestry.com has border crossing from New Brunswick to Maine and from Maine to New Brunswick.  I looked for her under the surname Bois and Albert and looked for him and could not find either one going either direction.  There marriage record shows the marriage in Canada 22 Jun 1909.  The 1910 census says that she first came to the US in 1908, but that arrival also does not appear in the border crossing records, that I can find.

          • Re: Seeking immigration records of Marie Bois
            Alice Lane Ranger

            Hi Janet,

            Welcome to History Hub

            I searched familysearch.org...it is a free website...you just need to register to use.

            I entered the names that you posted and found a lot of pople similar. You should try family search.

            Were they teachers?


            Alice Lane

            Volunteer Researcher

            • Re: Seeking immigration records of Marie Bois
              Cara Jensen Navigator

              Dear Ms. Soule,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              We suggest that you review the NARA’s Immigration Records website and the article By Way of Canada, as well as the FamilySearch Research wiki for Maine Emigration and Immigration Genealogy


              An immigrant woman automatically became a citizen when she married her U.S. citizen fiance. Her proof of citizenship was a combination of two documents: the marriage certificate and her husband's birth record or naturalization certificate.


              If she began a naturalized U.S. Citizen before she married, beginning on September 27, 1906, the responsibility for naturalization proceedings was transferred to the Federal courts. For access to the records of Federal courts in Maine, please contact the National Archives at Boston (RE-BO) via email at boston.archives@nara.gov.and request a search for her naturalization records by including the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.


              In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).


              Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906 and may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!