1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2020 2:52 PM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking service records of Alvin Ralph Schlomer


      My uncle, Alvin Ralph Schlomer, was a soldier during WWII who entertained other soldiers by playing the piano for them.  I have not been able to find any service records on him.

        • Re: Seeking service records of Alvin Ralph Schlomer
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. Marcrum,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We checked the National Archives and Records Administration Access to Archival Databases and found a Numerical Identification File (NUMIDENT) record for a Alvin Ralph Schlomer born December 14, 1921 in South Dakota.  With information we located a U.S., Department of Veteran's Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 record for this same person having served in the Army with an enlistment date of: November 26, 1942, discharged: January 25, 1946, and died: May 27, 1993.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 3314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!



          Holly Rivet


          1 person found this helpful