3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2020 12:03 PM by Susannah Brooks

Seeking the mother of Ethelena Hay

Ethelena Persons Newbie

I am seeking the parents of Ethelena Hay Bailey

• Re: Seeking the mother of Ethelena Hay
          Susannah Brooks Adventurer

Surprisingly there are several Ethelena or Ethelyn H. Baileys, so you will have to give us more information, such as her birth and death years and where she lived in the US.  Also is Hay or Bailey her maiden name. 

Ethelena Persons Newbie

Ethelena Hay is my grandmother's maiden name. She was born 8/1/1891in Vera Cruz, Mexico. She came to the U.S. at least twice. Once in August 1925 on the ship Yuma which arrived in New Orleans, she was with her 8 children and Amos Bailey, I believed they were married. She returned to the United States again in 1935 aboard the ship Delphia, arriving into Tampa, Florida on 7/6/1935. Ethelena Hay died and was buried in Hillsboro, FL 8/15/1937. She is listed as Ethel Bailey. Her father is listed as David Hay, born in Louisville, KY and her mother is listed as Susie Anna McCluckin. I believe this information is incorrect and all variations of the spelling of her last name have yielded no results.

I appreciate any help or information to resolve the many discrepancies associated with my grandmother's birth and marriage. Thank you.

Susannah Brooks Adventurer

When Ethelena arrives in the US in 1925, it states she is a US citizen because of her marriage to a citizen (Amos Bailey).  If her parent's were US citizens when she was born in Veracruz, she would have been born a citizen.  Therefore, maybe her parents were not from the US but from somewhere in what was then the British Empire (British Isles, Canada, Australia, India, parts of Africa, Caribbean islands, etc). 

In 1913 Amos registered with the US Consulate in Honduras and the space for wife's name was crossed out, so they may not have been married at that point. 

When he married Ethelena or when his children were born, he may have registered them at the US Consulate.  Consulate records are at the National Archives in College Park MD.  They are not easy to use, since most are not indexed (I have used consulate records from Germany and it takes a long time to find anything), but they contain a lot of good information when you get lucky.

When Ethelena arrived in the US in 1935 she had a US passport.  It says USPP74 issued LaCeiba Hond. 3/4/35.  It may be worthwhile requesting her passport application from the State Dept. to see if it mentions her parents or the exact town or village in Veracruz she was born in.  Directions for requesting a passport application https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/passport-records.html