2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2020 2:45 PM by Susannah Brooks

Seeking information about Willard Landon

Jennifer Ushe Newbie

I am researching the progression of Huntington's Disease in my family. We know my great grandmother, Lillian Landon (m. dolfinger) carried the gene and we are fairly certain her father did as well. I think I may have figured out who he was, but I cannot find anymore information about him. His name is Willard Landon from Ulster County, New York. He was born around 1862 and was admitted to the Ulster County poorhouse in 1881. He would have had children with a Mary Thompson. I have reached out to Ulster County, New York but would love other resources other than Ancestry to search on. Thank you for any leads or advice.

• Re: Seeking information about Willard Landon
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Ushe,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the the Population Schedules for the 1870 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1880 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1890 Census; the Population Schedules for the 1900 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about Willard Landon.   Some of these schedules have been digitized in part.  For access to the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For information about the U.S. Census, see the Census Bureau technical documentation and questionnaires.

You may wish to search Ancestry.com for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, some of the images from Ancestry are available for free on Family Search or at your local library. Many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

In addition to following up with your Ulster County inquiry, we suggest that you contact the New York State Archives: Genealogy and the New-York Historical Society for vital records and other available resources about Willard Landon.  You also may wish to review the New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962 FamilySearch index as well as the FamilySearch research wiki on Ulster County, NY Genealogy for additional information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

• Re: Seeking information about Willard Landon
            Susannah Brooks Scout

The best I can tell from the 1860 census, Willard Landon b. abt 1852, was the brother of Lillie Landon b. abt 1858. They were the children of Clinton Landon b. abt 1830 and Elizabeth b. abt 1832.

In the 1870 census Lillie is listed as 12 years old and there is a Willie, who is 9 (this may not be the same child as the Willard listed in the 1860 census).

Clinton H. Landon was born in Delaware Co, NY in 1828 and died in St. Elizabeth Hospital for the insane on 26 Apr 1875.  Clinton was a soldier  during the Civil War.  In 1872 he was admitted to at least 2 different Veteran's hospitals due to partial paralysis.

He was buried at St. Elizabeth Hospital in an unmarked grave, but an application was made for a headstone.