1 person found this helpful
The top left is his Army service# 741751
Followed by DOB 12/28/1897
Followed by Enlistment date 8/1917- 6/1919
Right Column I believe is Veteran benefits top right number would be his VA claim file#.
If anyone else has information on right Column please help?
3 people found this helpful
Hi Heather, just to add to Elliot's reply, I found this information on the Archives website (see link below); it lists some additional abbreviations for the VA index cards. Familysearch.org also had information on the abbreviations (see table below). Hope this is of some help. joan
Information found in the collection are listed below:
- Name of the veteran
- Cross-reference to the beneficiary of the veteran
- Military Unit and Branch of Service
- Home address at the time of enlistment (but rarely may be the hometown or place of birth instead)
- Service number
- Date of death
- Date of birth
- Date of enlistment
- Date of discharge (Event Date)
- The "Event Place" listed on the card was usually the residence of the veteran at the time of enlistment, but was occasionally the hometown or place of birth instead.
- The "Event Date" is the date of discharge.
- The military unit identified on the card is the first organization in which the veteran served.
- C-Insurance Application
- K-Life Insurance
- A-Adjusted Compensation (Bonus)
- T-War Risk Insurance
- Ct-WWI Certificate (issued with bonus)
- I-Permanent Disability
Thanks that helps a lot! Any guesses about alias listed on the card or what HOSP means?