3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2020 7:07 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking records about Arne Agle from Norway

Ingunn Solli Newbie

Good evening! I am searching for information about my late grand uncle, Arne Agle, born 6. November 1882 who emigrated to the US in 1902. It seems like Arne was enlisted in Tacoma, for Army service at Fort Worden in November 1904, with the 30th Coast Artillery, and later at  Fort Bayard possibly as an Army patient and /or a worker. A history from home suggests that he also served as a border patrol during the American/Mexican war and got injured, but this has not yet been confirmed.

My question is whether it can be possible to find any information: written or photos, that can fill the gaps in his story?  This is a difficult task from Norway, but it feels important since the family had very little contact with him, and I think we owe him to know as much as possible of his story. We know that he had taken a portrait in uniform about January 1905 at Fort Worden that he sent to his aunt, but none of these exist with the family today.

We also know that he later, from the early 1920s to his death in 1947, seemed  to live in Glendale, California. It might be nice to have an early photo to compare if we are lucky to find a later one, so I give you a link to my brother’s Genealogical site for Arne’s data: http://www.agle.no/slekt/individual.php?pid=I0008&ged=Agle%20og%20Kvistad%20nedre I appreciate any help you may provide! Wish you a safe and good summer!

• Re: Seeking records about Arne Agle from Norway
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Ingunn,

Welcome to History Hub.

I found a photo of Arne on familysearch.org...there is a family tree...click link to see.

The family tree was established by Janae Davis

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/GW9K-N5H

family search is a free website...you just need to register to search. There is more

information on him on the site. If you need help searching please do not hesitate to ask.

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

Ingunn Solli Newbie

Thank you for responding!
              Yes, I have been in touch with Janae, and she is related to Arne’s divorced wife. My brother also has a Genealogy site , and we know some of his timeline. I keep adding new info to his FamilySearch page. We still, however, have large blank gaps to fill, and not a single photo after his teenage photo on his genealogical page. We know he had a soldier portrait taken at Fort Worden in 1905, as a member of 30th Coast artillery corps. This was sent to his aunt but no longer exists.
              We welcome any tiny piece of information to fill in his story.
              Ingunn.

Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Ingunn Solli,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Returns of Military Organizations, ca. 1800-12/1916 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1762-1917 (Record Group 94) that includes three records related to Arne Agle for 1905, 1906, and 1907 in the records for the 30th Coast Artillery Corps. The series has been digitized and the images are available using the Catalog.

We also located the series Enlistment Papers, 1798 - October 31, 1912 and Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798 - 1914 in Record Group 94 that may contain relevant information about him. In addition, we located nine series in the Records of the U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that include letters, returns, and other records related to the 30th Coast Artillery. Plus, we located nine other series in the Records of U.S. Army Continental Commands  (Record Group 393) that include letters related to Fort Worden and possibly, more details about Arne Agle. These records have not been digitized.

If you know where Arne Agle might have entered the United States, it may also be possible to find some information about him in the National Archives immigration & naturalization records, and if you know where he lived, the census records might also prove helpful.

For further information about all of the records listed above, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Plus, we located the Signal Corps Photographs of American Military Activity, (Record Group 111-SC), ca. 1754 - ca. 1954 and the "Redbook" Photographs, 1893 - 1918 in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111) that may include photos of the forts  where he was stationed and/or the 30th Coast Artillery. For a search of these records, please contact the National Archives in College Park - Still Picture (RDSS) via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Lastly, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that include a card for Arne Agle. We also located a WWII Selective Service card for him. See the images below. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

WWI Draft Card - Arne Agle

WWII Draft Card - Arne Agle