1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 7, 2020 8:36 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking my father-in-law's service & medical records

Lazaro Ramirez Newbie

I attempting to secure my father-in-laws service and medical records (served from 1941-1945). Are there records that may be at other locations that were not included in the 1973 fire at the NPRC in St Louis?

• Re: Seeking my father-in-law's service & medical records
          Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Ramirez,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

You also may refer to the Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 on the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) website to view enlistment records for active duty and reserve members.   This record will include his service which is very helpful in locating military records for men with common names.  The U.S. Armed Forces did not use social security numbers during this period.  To get started, follow this link and search his name in the green highlighted search bar.  If you can't locate him by his full name, try just first and last name only.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 person found this helpful