1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2020 1:14 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking codes used for Project Hundred Thousand Program


      As a member of McNamara's Morons, I would like to find out about the coding that was used to track each individual under the Project Hundred Thousand Program. A 67 was used in their Service Number to easily identify them during the Vietnam War. Were there other codes used? Is there documentary evidence of this or documents negating such coding?

        • Re: Seeking codes used for Project Hundred Thousand Program
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Mr. Noyes,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located multiple records relating to Project One Hundred Thousand in the Records of the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Record Group 330) that are digitized and available online using the Catalog.


          If you haven’t already, we suggest that you request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          We also suggest that you submit a FOIA request with the Department of Defense for any questions you have regarding Project One Hundred Thousand. Information for submitting FOIA requests is available at the DOD Office of the Inspector General website.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!