Dear Ms. Holloway,
Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!
We searched the U.S. Newspaper Directory from the Library of Congress’ “Chronicling America” website, but we were unable to locate any newspaper with that title from New Jersey. There are other newspapers for Montclair, New Jersey, and there are newspapers from other states with that title, but the specific publication you are seeking does not appear among the results.
Similarly, a search of WorldCat does not provide any results for an “American Monitor” newspaper in New Jersey.
You may wish to contact the Montclair History Center to see if they can offer you any further assistance.
We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!
These are the only newspapers that the Library of Congress lists as being published in Montclair NJ
- The Fair chronicle. [volume] (Montclair [N.J.]) 18??-1???
- The Montclair dispatch. [volume] (Montclair, NJ) 2012-current
- The Montclair dispatch. [online resource] (Montclair, NJ) 2012-current
- The Montclair herald. [volume] (Montclair, N.J.) 1873-1874
- The Montclair times. [volume] (Montclair, N.J.) 1877-current
- Montclair weekly journal. (Montclair, N.J.) 1876-1???
- The Saturday gazette. [volume] (Bloomfield and Montclair, N.J.) 1873-1875
- The Aquarian. (Montclair, N.J.) 197?-current
- Essex forum. (East Orange, N.J.) 1972-????
There were two newspapers called the American Monitor listed: one published early 19th C in Plattsburg NY and one published in St. Louis starting about 1891 (no end date listed).
Thank you all for the information. The American Monitor was an African American newspaper established in Montclair, NJ, in 1909. It may have folded as a business around 1915. It is listed in the N.W. Ayer & Son's Newspaper Annual and Directory, 1914.
I have checked the Montclair History Center and the Local History room at the Montclair Public Library. Is there some other place you would suggest I look?
Thank you very much. Betty