3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2020 7:39 AM by Stephen Charla

Seeking information on family's boats

Rick Mitchelll Newbie

My family's boats were used on the Chesapeake Bay -- G.A.C., Haddie J Bradshaw, and the W.E.Bradshaw.

• Re: Seeking information on family's boats
          J. Andrew Scout

What time period are you talking about?  What were the boats used for? Were they home ported in Virginia, Maryland, or elsewhere?

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Mitchell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest contacting the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum for advice on researching the maritime history of the Chesapeake Bay area.

Also, if these boats still exist or were used recently, boat dealers in your area may be able to assist you with researching their history.  If these boats are required to be registered, the government agency with which they are registered may have information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful
              Stephen Charla Newbie

Dear Mr. Mitchell,

I work at the Philadelphia field office of the National Archives.  The National Archives at Philadelphia is the repository for the permanently valuable records of federal agencies and federal courts in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

If your family's boats were over a certain size, registered with the U.S. Coast Guard, and had home ports in Maryland or Virginia, we could have Vessel Documentation Files on them in Record Group 26, Records of the U.S. Coast Guard.  Assuming the names you listed were vessel names, I looked for them in our Vessel Documentation File index.  However, I did not locate any files on the G.A.C., Haddie J. Bradshaw, or W. E. Bradshaw.

Most of our series of Vessel Documentation Files end in the 1970s or 1980s.  As Mr. Atkinson noted above, you can try inquiring with the U.S. Coast Guard directly if the vessels were used more recently than that.  Good luck with your research.

3 people found this helpful