1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2020 7:02 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking whether Sheldon Berman served in Vietnam


      I am looking for any military records, such as a veterans listing, to confirm or deny that Sheldon L Berman (DOB 10-5-1945 & born in Chicago, IL) served in the military during the Vietnam War.

        • Re: Seeking whether Sheldon Berman served in Vietnam
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Derrick,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Various offices within the Department of Defense have informed us that no agency of the Federal Government has ever compiled comprehensive lists of all individuals who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War from particular states or communities.  If you have not already done so, we suggest you contact the Illinois Adjutant General, Brig. Gen. Richard R. Neely. The website is http://www.il.ngb.army.mil.


          You may request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.


          Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!