1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2020 2:57 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking morning reports of 39th Infantry Regiment

Deb Granrath Newbie

I would like to access records, for example, Morning Reports from WWII so that I am able to trace my father's footsteps from June 10, 1944 through June 24, 1945 ETO. Are records available on-line? How do I access information on: 9th Infantry Division; 39th Infantry Regiment; 2nd Battalion; "F" Company?

• Re: Seeking morning reports of 39th Infantry Regiment
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Granrath,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes unit histories and general orders of the 39th Infantry Regiment during WWII. We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) and located files of the 39th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division during WWII. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL & RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!