5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2020 7:43 PM by Grace Yuhasz

    Question about World War II military records lost in fire


      I understand that the military records that were lost in a fire in St. Louis are being reconstructed.  Are there any of these records available for research?

        • Re: Question about World War II military records lost in fire
          Elliot Schneider Guide

          Mary Ann,


          Would you be willing to share additional information pertaining to your relative/spouse. Many of us here are very knowledgeable and can assist.





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Question about World War II military records lost in fire

            Dear Ms. Malartsik,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            First, it is important to note that after the 1973 Fire, the Army, Air Force, Veteran's Administration, and localities sent documents to prove a veteran's service.  These auxiliary files include: Veterans Administration (VA) claims files, individual state records, Multiple Name Pay Vouchers (MPV) from the Adjutant General's Office, Selective Service System (SSS) registration records, pay records from the Government Accounting Office (GAO), as well as medical records from military hospitals, entrance and separation x-rays and organizational records.


            Reconstruction is performed for to determine a veteran's service if the record was lost in the 1973 Fire.  The process begins when a request is made for the veteran of the Army, Army Air Corps, or Air Force with a separation between 1917 - 1963, and the record cannot be located.  The National Personnel Records Center technician will search for the veteran through these resources to compile them into one new file that will document enlistment, discharge, final rank, and character of discharge.


            Since he served during WWII, you may search the Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records) online to locate an enlistment record for him that will include his dates of entry and service numbers.  This information is extremely helpful when requesting his Official Military Personnel Record (OMPF).


            We suggest that you request a copy of his OMPF.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.  Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!



            Holly Rivet

            2 people found this helpful