20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2020 1:27 PM by Alice Lane

Seeking passenger lists of SS Kronprinz Frederick Wilhelm

Harlan Faust Newbie

Good Morning, I tried to research a ships passenger record through Castle Gardens, but their search page is down. I have found a gentleman that might be my Great Grandfather.  What I found so far -- Reinhard Faust, Age 31, whose birth date is 1842 and native country was Germany, and arrival date was 25 October 1873 -- What I have found is information was derived from the National Archives and the German to America Passenger Data File.  This man came on the SS Kronprinz Frederick Wilhelm and it originated from Bremen. What I am looking for is a passenger list that might verify what community/village/town or province he originated. If not, please let me know what avenues I need to explore to get additional information. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking passenger lists of SS Kronprinz Frederick Wilhelm
          Susannah Brooks Scout

Unfortunately his passenger list only gives the country of origin.  Could you give us a bit more information about where he lived in the US and when he died, so that we could possibly look for or suggest other records that might give you his town of origin.

2 people found this helpful
            Harlan Faust Newbie

Susannah,

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I need to tell you a little story to explain my request for this information about Reinhard Faust.  I am actually looking for my great grandfather Peter Faust.  Peter was born in Hermersberg, Germany, immigrated to the US and first lived in Huron County, Ohio.  He eventually moved to Platte County, Nebraska and passed away there.

I have a lot of information about him, but the one item I don't have is what port he arrived in the US and if there were others that traveled with him.  I have been able to find this information about most of the other folks in my family tree.  He is the elusive one.  The reason I tried another name is a researcher in Germany thought he might have deserted from the Prussian army after the Franco-Prussian war.  I took a wild stab at using Reinhard as his oldest son is named Reinhard Peter Faust.  I found this gentleman with a similar birth date and he arrived in October of 1873.  These two dates were so similar I thought there was a chance it was Peter.  The reason for the passenger list was to determine if the town/village of origin might be listed.

What i know: He was born on October 14, 1843 in Hermersberg, Germany.  HIs birth record doesn't show a middle name or baptism name.  I found this unusual as he was Roman Catholic.  I have the record of his birth from the German Archive. He arrived in the US on September, 1873 (as listed on his Probate record for Naturalization papers from Huron County, Ohio). He was Naturalized on May 22, 1879 in Huron County, Ohio. He was married on October 17, 1874 to Anna Maria Wiehn (her name has been spelled Wing and Wien on various records.)  This was the date on the Marriage Certificate, but doesn't confirm the marriage date. Anna and her mother arrived in the US in November, 1872 on the SS Silesia. Her maiden name was spelled Wiehn. This record shows their town of origination. And he died on February 11, 1891 in Platte County, Nebraska.

I know that Anna Wiehn had an uncle by the name of Michael Heiser.  He arrived in April, 1864 and was naturalized in 1876.  Other than on a census record, I have found no other record of him, other than a possible death record for a spouse.

I feel fortunate that I have as much information about Peter Faust as I do, but the arrival record for him is once piece I would like to add.  I am hoping it may shed light on others that came with him on the same ship.

Michael Palmer Wayfarer

I am inclined to believe that the Reinhardt Faust who arrived in October 1873 aboard the Kronprinz Friedrich Wilhelm is indeed your Peter Faust. Dates of arrival as given on naturalization records are often incorrect, and a difference of only 1 month is not significant. The year of birth is also approximately the same for both individuals, and your Peter named his eldest son Reinhard Peter.

You write that you have the record of Peter Faust's 14 October 1843 birth in Hermersberg "from the German Archive". Do you have an image of this record that you can post? And what is the church (the church in Hermersberg is Protestant, and your Peter's name does not appear in the registers), and from what archive did you obtain the record?

1 person found this helpful
                    Harlan Faust Newbie

Good Afternoon Michael,

Thank you for your response.  I agree with you there are far too many similarities between the record for Reinhard Faust and Peter Faust.  The records I have reviewed about Peter and his wife have had numerous small inconsistencies in spellings and dates.  I equate those to the language difference between the German pronunciation and the Anglo interpretation.

I have been to Hermersberg and there is a Catholic church.  The Faust families that reside in Hermersberg continue to attend that church.  The trail that I have for the Faust family that extends back to Hornbach has always been associated with the Catholic church.  The children born to Peter and Anna Faust were baptized at St Sebastian Church in Huron County.  That part I am 100% sure he was Catholic.

I have attached record from Bistumarchive in Speyer, Germany.Birth Record for Peter Faust

Michael, as you can see the copy is very difficult to read.  The archivist at the Bistumarchive in Speyer, Herr M. Kõller provided a reading for me in the email.  This was sent to a friend that contacted Herr Kõller for me.  I have attached email in German, but in essence he has confirmed the birth date, the names of the parents and the Godfather, Peter Müller.  This coincides with other information I received or have found about Peter and the Faust family.

email auf Deutsch von Herr M. Kõller

Michael, if we make the determination that Reinhard Faust and Peter Faust are one in the same, how do I find where he boarded the ship to get further confirmation.  From other records I have found the ships may originate in Bremen or Hamburg, and then make a port call in Le Havre or Rotterdam, pick up additional passengers and then continue to New York.  Le Havre would make sense as it is close proximity to Hermersberg.

Thank you Michael.  You have renewed my hope that I may have finally resolved the issue of when and where Peter arrived in the US.

Harlan Faust

Alice Lane Tracker

Hello Harlan,

Welcome to History Hub

I found your great grandfather on findagrave.com with the name Peter... with an artist sketch of him. His sons name is listed as Reinart Peter Faust.

His wife is there also with a photo of her. She remarried after his death. A lot of family members are listed.

Faust. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/54265490/peter-faust

Best Wishes in your search.

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher.

Harlan Faust Newbie

Alice,

Thank you for taking a look.  I am aware of all of what you found.  As I said above, I am blessed to have a great deal of information about Peter Faust.  What is frustrating as I can't make the connection with a port that he came through when he arrived in the United States.  Probably part of my compulsive personality, but it bothers me I can find that record.

Thank you again for your effort, much appreciated.

Harlan Faust

Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Mr. Faust,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located Data Files Relating to the Immigration of Germans to the United States in the Records of the Center for Immigration Research (CIR) that includes a database titled Germans to America Passenger Data File, 1850 - 1897. We searched the database and located 10 references for Peter Faust.  To locate the arrival date, ship name, and port of departure information associated with an individual passenger record, search the Manifest Header Data File using the manifest identification number listed in the passenger record. Please refer to the FAQs for more details.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Alice Lane Tracker

Harlan,

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KD3X-NM4

Found these stating that Mr. Faust was born in Hesse and departure port was Bremen

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

Alice Lane Tracker

Harlan

According to the following article the SS Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm was not launched until 1907

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Prinz_Friedrich_Wilhelm

Alice Lane

Alice Lane Tracker

Harlan,

And then there was the SS Kronprinz Wilhelm that was not launched until 1901

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Kronprinz_Wilhelm

Alice Lane

Michael Palmer Wayfarer

KRONPRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM 1870

This is the Norddeutscher Lloyd (North German Lloyd) steamship KRONPRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM, built by Caird & Co., Greenock, Scotland. 2,387 tons; 95,18 x 11,91 meters (312.3 x 39.1 feet, length x beam), clipper bow, 1 funnel, 2 masts; iron construction, screw propulsion, service speed 10 knots; accommodation for 105 1st-, 50 2nd-, and 400 3rd-class passengers. 13 September 1870, launched for the North German Lloyd West Indies service. 7 April 1871, maiden voyage, Bremen-Southampton-Panama. 14 May 1873, first voyage, Bremen-Southampton-New York. 1875, engines compounded. 1876, mainly to South America. 10 August 1884, last voyage, Bremen-New York (9 roundtrip voyages). 1887, quadruple-expansion engines by Denny, Dumbarton, Scotland. 23 March 1893, first voyage, Genoa-Naples-New York. 8 May 1895, last voyage, Naples-New York (16 roundtrip voyages). 7 July 1895, resumed service, Bremen-South America. 10 April 1897, last voyage, Bremen-South America. 1897, scrapped in Italy [Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 2 (1978), p. 548]. For further information on this vessel, including a photograph, see the following: 1. Arnold Kludas, Die Seeschiffe des Norddeutschen Lloyd, Bd. 1: 1857 bis 1919 (Herford: Koehler, c1991). 2. Edwin Drechsel, Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, 1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mail_ (2 vols.; Vancouver: Cordillera Pub. Co., c1994-c1995). [Posted to the Emigration-Ships Mailing List by Michael Palmer]

The KRONPRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM was built by Caird & Co, Greenock (ship #156), for Norddeutscher Lloyd's service to the West Indies and Colon, and was launched on 13 September 1870. 2,387 tons; 97,05 x 11,89 meters (length x breadth); clipper bow (the last vessel built for Norddeutscher Lloyd with such a bow), 1 funnel, 2 masts; iron construction, screw propulsion (single expasion, intermediate pressure, 1200 hp); service speed 10 knots; accommodation for 105 passengers in 1st class, 50 in 2nd class, and 405 in steerage; crew of 61 to 89. 7 April 1871, maiden voyage, Bremen-Southampton-Colon (Panama). 14 May 1873, first voyage, Bremen-Southampton-New York. 1875, given compound engine and new boilers; service speed 12 knots. 1876, first voyage, Bremen-South America. 10 August 1884, last voyage, Bremen-New York (9 roundtrip voyages). 1887, quadruple-expansion engines by W. Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton (5,000 hp). 23 March 1893, first voyage, Genoa-Naples-New York. 8 May 1895, last voyage, Naples-New York (16 roundtrip voyages). 7 July 1895, resumed Bremen-South America service. 10 April 1897, last voyage, Bremen-South America. 1897, sold to Gebruder Mosbacher, scrappers, of Frankfurt/Main; resold to La Spezia, and scrapped in Italy [Edwin Drechsel, Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, 1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mails, vol. 1 (Vancouver: Cordillera Pub. Co., c1994), p. 55.;Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 2 (1978), p. 548; Bonsor, South Atlantic Seaway; an illustrated history of the passenger lines and liners from Europe to Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina (Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications, c1983), p. 240]. - [E-mail from Michael Palmer - 1 February 1998]

Alice Lane Tracker

Harlan,

Yes, my research takes ships, with similar names, off of the list of possibles.

What is your concern about the Mr. Faust in your original post not beng the correct person?

Do you know his occupation?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XD2P-GR7?from=lynx1UIV8&treeref=KLX8-27D

Alice Lane

Harlan Faust Newbie

Alice,

My concern in my original message was from a "fishing" trip.  I have been stymied trying to find Peter Faust immigration record. Even though I have no records that Peter Faust may have another name (Baptised name) of Reinhart.  I decided to try Reinhart as Peter's oldest son is name Reinhart Peter Faust.  Thought there was a chance that Peter may have used that name on the ship record for whatever reason.  One researcher early on did make a comment once that Peter may have been a deserter from the military as there was something inconsistent in his German Military record.  I don't recall his reasoning to make the statement he might be a deserter.

Anyway, I searched for Reinhart and the record of a Reinhart with a similar birth date and arrival date in New York appeared.  Coincidence or did I finally find my Great Grandfather's immigration record.  I want to believe it is him, but I also want to confirm.  My great grandmothers arrival record at Castle Garden specifically listed the village she originated from in Germany.  My hope was this record would do so as well, but unfortunately.....not.

I'm not sure why this is so important to me, but it is.  It would complete the journey from Germany to the US for me.  I would then embark on discovering how he went from New York to Ohio.  I know his future wife and some of her family were already there so I know why, I just don't know how.  Was it by train, by wagon, horseback or on foot.

I sure appreciate all the extra help you and the other are giving me.  This has been great and I look forward to accessing the History Hub in the future.

Harlan Faust.

Barbara Hall Newbie

Names #1: I have recently looked at thousands of Catholic records from mid-19th century Baden. There are many children without middle names. In addition, the baptismal name was not always the name the person used. This happened in my 19th century family. Therefore, a child christened Peter could have gone by Reinhart. Often the child was officially named for a godfather/godmother. #2 As Michael Palmer so demonstrated. There can be multiple ships with the same name.

Travel: A journey from NY or any other East coast port to Ohio in the1870s would most likely have been taken by railroad.

Harlan Faust Newbie

Barbara,

Thank you.  According to Peter's birth record his godfather's name was Peter, so that coincides with what you mentioned.

The other information aligns with what Michael mentioned.  I think it would be safe to say I have found the ship record for my ancestor.

The History Hub is a wonderful resource.  All of the volunteers have been great and very generous with their time.

Thank you again.

Harlan Faust

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Harlan,

FYI............I found Reinhart Faust Arrival record. The birth date is different because the transcriber of the record took the date of arrival and his age and subtracted and you get 1842.  All birthdates are done the same when the records are transcribed.

Alice Lane

Voluntee Researcher