2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2020 2:59 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking records of Lt Robert Dupalo who was killed in action

Martin Dupalo Newbie

During WWII, in 1943, my relative Lt Robert Dupalo was killed in action (KIA) over India. I have searched for files endlessly and found nothing including the NARA WWII casualty listing. He was from Youngstown, OH. I do have a newspaper article from 1943 acknowledging he was KIA in India and his mother christening a war bond fundraising effort. I am either misdirected or this KIA happened at the far ends of the earth in India and few if any records exist. I know the British were allies and were the colonial rulers at the time and I understand there were problems with what is now Burma. I am also familiar with the Flying Tigers but I cannot understand how he was KIA there. I am looking for any and all leads, please. Any and all suggestions, information are welcome.

Reference to Lt Robert Dupalo in 1943

• Re: Seeking records of Lt Robert Dupalo who was killed in action
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Martin,

I've found a record pertaining to the Casualties listed for Robert. But here is the odd thing your last name is "Dupalo".

However, under the Casualties listing he is listed under Turmbull  County, Ohio Casualties as "Dupola" so my guess is that any type of military record you are looking for they spelled his last name incorrectly. I would suggest requesting records under that misspelling name here is some additional information.

Was also able to find him under the AAD by NARA because I put in the misspelling of his last name and he showed up. Here is that information.

Looks like he enlisted early in the war as an Aviation Cadet in 1941. This shows his enlisted number. Additionally, the Officer number was probably issued after he received his Commission.

Would suggest requesting records and using both enlisted and officer# on the SF-180 that is used to request records.

2and LT Robert C. Dupola

O-724159 Bombardier, 341st Bomb Group, 22nd Bomb Squadron, China-Burma-India Theater, KIA. Looks like he was also part of the 25th RCN SQ also known as Recon Squadron.

He is also buried at Arlington National Cemetery  please follow link. Copy and past in your web browser.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/51728094/robert-charles-dupola

Field TitleValueMeaning
          ARMY SERIAL NUMBER1501740715017407
          NAMEDUPOLA#ROBERT#C#########DUPOLA#ROBERT#C#########
          RESIDENCE: STATE53OHIO
          RESIDENCE: COUNTY155TRUMBULL
          PLACE OF ENLISTMENT5340FT HAYES COLUMBUS OHIO
          DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY0707
          DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH1010
          DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR4141
          GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATIONAV#CAviation Cadet
          GRADE: CODE9Aviation Cadet
          BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATIONAC#Air Corps
          BRANCH: CODE20Air Corps
          FIELD USE AS DESIRED##
          TERM OF ENLISTMENT0Undefined Code
          LONGEVITY######
          SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL2Enlisted Man, Regular Army, after 3 months of Discharge
          NATIVITY23NEW YORK
          YEAR OF BIRTH1616
          RACE AND CITIZENSHIP1White, citizen
          EDUCATION73 years of college
          CIVILIAN OCCUPATION484Structural-and ornamental-metal workers
          MARITAL STATUS6Single, without dependents
          COMPONENT OF THE ARMY1Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
          CARD NUMBER##
          BOX NUMBER01760176
          FILM REEL NUMBER2.33#2.33#

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of Lt Robert Dupalo who was killed in action
            Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Dupalo,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. Please include any variations in spelling.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For seeking general information about his military service, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!