3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2020 10:56 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking military records of SGT Marshall Rose

Mark Thickpenny Wayfarer

I am seeking to fill in the military service gaps of Sergeant Marshall E. Rose, ASN 33737185.  He received airplane mechanics diploma at Roosevelt Field on 9/23/1943.  Was his very next location Drew Field, Tampa, Florida where he further studied for assistant flight engineer and waste gunner?  What date in April 1944 and by what means was he sent the RAF Ridgewell (AAF-167) base in England?  He was in 8th Air Force, 381st Bombardment Group, 535th Bomb Squadron.  Participated in bombing raid of Berlin on May 24, 1944.  Plane was B-17G, Serial # 42-39890-Y, was shot down.  He survived the crash, captured, and sent to Dulag Luft.  How long was he there?  What other POW camp or camps was he sent to?  When and where was he freed by Allies?  Did he return to the Ridgewell?  When and where did he return to USA?  What was his discharge date and location?  Much thanks for your help.

• Re: Seeking military records of SGT Marshall Rose
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Mark,

Here is what is listed on NARA AAD.

Field TitleValueMeaning
          SERIAL NUMBER3373718533737185
          NAMEROSE MARSHALL EROSE MARSHALL E
          GRADE, ALPHASGTSergeant
          GRADE CODE5Captain or Asst. superintendent of nurses or Asst. director of nurses or Chief dietitian or Chief physical therapy aides or Sergeant or Technician 4th Grade or Lieutenant or Petty Officer, 3rd Class
          SERVICE CODE1ARMY
          ARM OR SERVICEACAir Corps
          ARM OR SERVICE CODE20AC: AIR CORPS
          DATE REPORT: DAY (DD)2424
          DATE REPORT: MONTH (MM)0505
          DATE REPORT: YEAR (Y)41944
          RACIAL GROUP CODE1WHITE
          STATE OF RESIDENCE34District of Columbia
          TYPE OF ORGANIZATIONS53Heavy Bomber
          PARENT UNIT NUMBER}381}381
          PARENT UNIT TYPE06Group/Regiment/Commands/System
          AREA72European Theatre: Germany
          LATEST REPORT DATE: DAY (DD)0909
          LATEST REPORT DATE: MONTH (MM)0606
          LATEST REPORT DATE: YEAR (Y)51945
          SOURCE OF REPORT1Individual has been reported through sources considered official.
          STATUS8Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated
          DETAINING POWER1GERMANY
          CAMP091Stalag Luft 4 Gross-Tychow (formerly Heydekrug) Pomerania, Prussia (moved to Wobbelin Bei Ludwigslust) (To Usedom Bei Savenmunde) 54-16
          REP
          POW TRANSPORT SHIPS

Here is additional information pertaining to enlistment.

Name:Marshall E Rose
          Name (Original):ROSE MARSHALL E
          Event Type:Military Service
          Event Date:12 Mar 1943
          Term of Enlistment:Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
          Event Place:Ft Myer, Virginia, United States
          Race:White
          Citizenship Status:citizen
          Birth Year:1923
          Birthplace:MARYLAND
          Education Level:4 years of high school
          Civilian Occupation:992
          Marital Status:Single, without dependents
          Military Rank:Private
          Army Branch:52
          Army Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
          Source Reference:Civil Life
          Serial Number:33737185
          Affiliate ARC Identifier:1263923
          Box Film Number:07011.218

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
              Mark Thickpenny Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thank you very much for your wonderful reply to my submission regarding Sgt. Marshall E. Rose.  Very helpful.

Marshall Rose and my Father trained together from LaGuardia School of Aeronautics, then Casey Jones School of Aeronautics in Newark, then Roosevelt Field near Mineola, NY.  They moved through in a class called 207-A, then they parted with Marshall eventually heading to Europe and Dad to the Pacific theatre.  They remained life long friends, and true to their generation my Dad never spoke about his service experience.  So I am seeking to learn more about his colleagues in that period to understand how each of them were special to each other.

I am fairly new to the History Hub website, so kindly permit me to ask likely naive follow up questions regarding responses contained in your reply.  And I attempted to utilize the NARA AAD website that you mentioned, but to no avail.  Have not figured out how it works.

In the "addition information page pertaining to enlistment" that you provided, is an item called "Army Branch: 52".  What does the '52' mean or represent?

I understand that "Date Report: Month (MM)" is May, the 5th month of the year.  What does the numeral '4' mean in the "Date Report: Year (Y)  /4/ 1944"?  Is it merely the last digit in the year - 1944?

This Report Date is the day his Squadron is among numerous B-17s heading to bomb Berlin, and the day his plane is shot down.  Any way of knowing when he arrived in England before this event?

The "Type of Organization" is 'S53', meaning 'Heavy Bomber'.  Is that 'S53' specific to only B-17s, or does it also apply to B-24s and B-29s?

I assume that the "Parent Unit Type 06" is a "Group" level designation.  Is the "Regiment" the Squadron level?  What do the next two words 'Commands/System' refer to or mean?

Combining the "Latest Report Date / Month / Year" means June 9, 1945?  Is this Marshall's release date from his last POW camp, or his reporting into his Group/Squadron located at Ridgewell England?  Or ???

It states that item "Status 8" has three potential meanings - 'Military Control', 'Liberated' or 'Repatriated'.  Is it possible to further clarify the exact status?  Can we find his date of release from POW status, whether he then returns to England, and when he returns Stateside?  I see the word "REP" at the bottom of this NARA AAD material page, and below that "POW Transport Ships".  I assume that REP means 'repatriated' but what do I know?

I have spent today investigating the chain of POW camps listed next to "Camp 091".  Is 091 a code for POW camp?  I attempted to map each location beginning with Stalag Luft 4 Gross-Tychow, then the concentration camp Wobbelin Bei Ludwigslust, followed by Usedom Bei Savenmunden (54-16).  Please allow me to ask a few more questions.

In my earlier request I mentioned Marshall was captured and sent to Dulag Luft.  I'm guessing Dulag Luft Frankfurt, the main camp, although it is a bit far from his capture near Berlin.  Do you think I am off the mark?  Was there a Dulag Luft nearer to Berlin?

I cannot find how Marshall was then sent to Stalag Luft IV in Gross-Tychow, Pomerania, currently Tychowo, Poland.  Walk, truck or rail?

Usedom Bei Savenmunden (54-16) appears to be an island with some coordinates, and likely controlled by the Germans during the war.  Please provide any additional information regarding its use as a POW camp or otherwise.

Did Marshall partake in the "Black March" starting on February 6, 1945?  From my review it seems so, but your expertise and knowledge is very key here.  If so, next stop Stalag 357 (Stalag XI-B) near Fallingbosted?

I have mountains of print outs in front of me that will be reviewed over the next several days.  Truly appreciate hearing back from you regarding these queries.  I apologize if I have overstepped my welcome.

Very truly yours.

Mark C Thickpenny

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Thickpenny,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Missing Aircrew Reports (MACRs), 1942 - 1947 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that includes MACR 5179 for Marshall E Rose. We also located a series titled World War II Combat Operations Reports, 1941 - 1946 in the Records of the Army Air Forces ( Record Group 18) that includes 4 file units pertaining to the 381st Bomb Group. For access to and/or copies of this/these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

RDT2 also has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to the U.S. Army Air Force units. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located 55 files that pertain to the 381st Bomb Group during WWII. Please read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. If the reel number begins with A, B or C, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to them.

If the reel number begins with D - Z, the microfilm is still security classified and RDT2 will not be able to make the reel available to you. The original paper copy from which the film was created is still in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) and has been declassified. To obtain copies of these records, please follow the instructions on this page.

In addition, we searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the database titled Records of World War II Prisoners of War, created, 1942 - 1947 in the Records of the Office of the Provost Marshal General (Record Group 389) that includes a file for Marshal E. Rose.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!