1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 21, 2020 2:58 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking proof of military service


      I have a senior friend I am trying to help locate proof that he was in the military.  He was born in 1940.  He has long term memory loss of some of the details but is recovering some memories.  He went to Bryant High School in 1956 and went to work for UPS in 1966 both in New York.  It is the gap in between when he thinks he served.  He thinks it was the Navy because he remembers being a diver and something to do with depth charges and an explosion which left him partially deaf in one ear.  He remembers being taken care of for a long period of time but doesn't know by whom or how long.  Is there someone that could help determine or confirm his service with minimal information?

        • Re: Seeking proof of military service
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Morford,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1957 and prior to January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!.