Dear Mr. Post,
Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!
To begin your research, we suggest that you review the finding aid titled “Holocaust-Era Assets: A Finding Aid to Records at the National Archives at College Park, Maryland” compiled by Greg Bradsher as it is the most comprehensive finding aid on this subject. It can be accessed in electronic format on the website of the National Archives and on the website of the Hathi Trust Digital Library.
Further, we would suggest looking into the following finding aids and/or series of records at the National Archives:
- “Personal Names” finding aid to records located in the Records of the Office of Strategic Services (Record Group (RG) 226). This finding aid is in hard copy only and is available to view onsite in the Textual Research Room at the National Archives in College Park, MD.
- Cables sent from and to Bern, Switzerland located in the series titled “Overseas Cable Files, 1942-1945” in RG 226
- Series titled “Name Index, 1910-1973” to the Central Decimal Files in the General Records of the Department of State (RG 59) and check if there are any index cards for Friedrich Gustave Kadgien. The Name Index serves as a finding aid for communications to, from, or about private persons or organizations.
- Records of the U.S. Legation in Bern, Switzerland located in the series titled “General Records, 1936-1963” in the Records of the Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State (RG 84). For a list of files that might be of interest to you, please see this link.
- Series titled “Intelligence and Investigative Dossiers (IRR) Personal Files” in the Records of the Army Staff (RG 319) that are in digital format. The files, some of which may still be classified, can be requested by contacting NARA’s Special Access and FOIA Branch via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to state that you are requesting that the digital IRR files be searched for Friedrich Gustave Kadgien. Also, please include Kadgien’s date of birth if known.
Further, we searched the National Archives Catalog for any records related to Jefferson Caffrey. The search produced the following results. Please note that some of the records have been digitized and may be viewed online using the Catalog. For access to the non-digitized records, please contact the unit listed in the description.
Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from various NARA units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.
We also searched fold3.com for any records on Friedrich Kadgien. The search produced 8 results located in the Records of U.S. Occupation Headquarters, World War II (RG 260) and a report located in RG 226.
Finally, you might want to review a report titled “Switzerland and Gold Transactions in the Second World War. Interim Report” by the Independent Commission of Experts Switzerland-Second World War.
We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!