2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2020 9:09 PM by Grace Yuhasz

Seeking photograph of USS Forrestal grave ceremony

Annette Stephens Newbie

I am looking for the entire photograph for the interment ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery. My Uncle was AME2 Dale R Ross, from Missouri, who was born on April 23, 1947. My Aunt Betty (Lamar) Ross, my mom's sister, was his wife and she has also passed. I am doing a family tree for his daughters, Kim and Dawn, and would like to include the photograph as well as any photographs of the ceremony.  Thank you in advance for any assistance you might provide.

Image of part of photo for interred ceremony Headstone Arlington National Cemetery

• Re: Seeking photograph of USS Forrestal grave ceremony
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Stephens,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Photographs of various U.S. Navy activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

You also may wish to contact the Naval History and Heritage Command.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

• Re: Seeking photograph of USS Forrestal grave ceremony
            Grace Yuhasz Wayfarer

There were at least 2 photos taken.  They were used in various newspapers around the country on Oct. 2 and the following day.  It isn't the archival photo quality I am sure you want but it would show you what you are requesting, if you haven't already seen them. 

(I saw the photos on Newspapers.com, a subscription site.  I used the search terms USS Forrestal Arlington and put in a date of Oct. 1967.  A lot of libraries have newspaper sites available for free through their website if you have a library card, so it may be worth checking out.)