2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2020 10:28 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking employment history of parents

    David Matthews Newbie

      Where can I find the 1930-1950 employment histories of my deceased parents?

        • Re: Seeking employment history of parents
          Alice Lane Pioneer

          Hi David,


          Welcome to History Hub,


          You could try the Social Security Administration but remember that the first Social Security Card was not issued until November 1936. https://www.ssa.gov/  or your local SSA office.

          Also check the 1930 and 1940 Census at familysearch.org, it is a free site, you just need to register.

          The 1950 census will not be released until April 1, 2022.


          Good Luck in your search.


          Alice Lane

          Research Volunteer

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking employment history of parents
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Mr. Matthews,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

            There are no records at the National Archives which provide employment histories for all inhabitants or citizens of the United States. 

            If your parents were civilian employees of the federal government, there may be Official Personnel Files (OPF) for them. OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/civilian-personnel.


            If they worked for the Department of State, The Biographic Register might mention them.


            If your parents were in the military, we suggest that you request a copy of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Census records for 1930 and 1940 may list their occupation as of the enumeration dates. For information about accessing census records for these years, please see Introduction to Census Records. Census records for 1950 will not be open to the public until 2022.


            If your father registered for Selective Service, he would have listed his occupation at the time he registered. Even if he was too old to be called up for service, he may have registered in 1942 as part of the Fourth Registration (Old Man's Draft) which was to gather information regarding manpower resources in the United States.  The Fourth Registration included men born between 27 April 1877 and 16 February 1890 (ages 45 to 64) and listed their industrial capacity and skills that could be used for military support during World War II.


            Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and were born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: cards and classification histories.  The individual Draft Registration Card (SSS Form 1) may contain information such as: name, Selective Service registration number, age, date and place of birth, ethnicity, place of residence at time of registration and basic physical description. The Classification History (SSS Form 102) may contain: name; date of birth; classification and date of mailing notice; date of appeal to the board; date and results of armed forces physical examination; entry into active duty or civilian work in lieu of induction (may include date, branch of service entered and mode of entry, such as enlisted or ordered); date of separation from active duty or civilian work; and general remarks. Please complete a Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.


            Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended non-emergency reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            Many World War II era draft registration cards are available on Ancestry.com as U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 and U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947. There may be a fee for accessing these records on Ancestry. Some libraries provide free access to their patrons.


            Contacting those that knew your parents might provide some information. If they were prominent enough they might appear in a public biographical source, such as an edition of Who's Who's, the Biography and Genealogy Master Index, etc. Also local newspapers and alumni magazines might mention a new job, retirement, etc. Obituaries sometimes mention jobs that the deceased held. For additional advice, see Job Hunting: Researching Your Ancestors’ Employment.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

            1 person found this helpful