1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2020 8:22 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking information about Van R Fleming

Chance Spencer Newbie

Hello! I am seeking any information on my 2nd Great Grandfather, Van Raymond Fleming, who was in the US Army during WWI. Below is all of the information I have complied so far. I am looking for any and all documentation on him and C Company, 30th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Division

Van Raymond Fleming

Born on January 2, 1898

Army Number: 1597942

Enlisted in the U.S Army on 4/7/1917

Left for France on the USS Manchuria with Company I, June Replacement Draft Infantry. on 6/7/1918

Joined the 3rd Division, 30th Infantry Regiment, C Company.

Engaged in Champagne-Marne Defensive that started 12:10 a.m. on 7/15/1918

Captured by German Soldiers at some point that day around Crézancy, France (on the Marne) on 7/15/1918

Transferred to Rastatt prison camp in Rastatt, Germany on 8/28/1918

Released from Rastatt on 12/9/1918

Left France on the USS Floridian with the 91st Division, 362nd Infantry bound for Hoboken, NJ. on 4/14/1919

Discharged on 4/29/1919

Many many thanks in advance!

• Re: Seeking information about Van R Fleming
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Spencer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes the 3rd Division and files of the 30th Infantry Regiment in Boxes 29-31. We also located the Records of the 1st Through 338th and the 559th Infantry Regiment, 1/1/1916 - 12/31/1921 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that includes files of the 30th Infantry Regiment. In addition, we located the Lists of Outgoing Passengers, 1917 - 1938 and the Lists of Incoming Passengers, 1917 - 1938 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that include the USS Manchuria for the outgoing transport to France and the USS Floridian for the incoming troop transport to New Jersey. Lastly, we located the Correspondence Relating to American Prisoners of War in Germany, 1918 - 1919 in Record Group 120 that may include POW information about Van Fleming. For access to and/or copies of these files, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful