1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 29, 2020 7:20 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking records for temporary duty stations and training in USMC


      Can anyone help me with finding my old duty stations and training paperwork from 1970-72 while serving in the USMC?

        • Re: Seeking records for temporary duty stations and training in USMC
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. York,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you do not have a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), we suggest that you request it since it may contain copies of your TDYs. OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and prior to May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Once you know all of your duty stations, please request the muster roll for the units. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls and Personnel Diaries, 1/1941 - 12/1980 in the Records of the U.S. Marine Corps (Record Group 127) that include the units you seek. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. Please note that access to Marine Corps muster rolls dating from the year 1971 and after is restricted owing to the use of Social Security Numbers as personal identifiers.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          [Information provided by NAte Patch, Subject Matter Expert]


          1 person found this helpful