1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 15, 2020 7:07 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Naval Air Reserve Boot Camp Graduation Photo

JEFF KING Newbie

I went through the Naval Air Reserve boot camp Nov-Dec 71. Company 21-72. My service number was E-88-02-00. Our Company Commander was AMS2 Kenyon. I'm looking for a copy of our graduation photo. I know one exists. One of my shipmates had one, but lost it. I have seen other photo of companies before and after mine. I have also posted this request on several Navy-related Facebook pages.

• Re: Seeking Naval Air Reserve Boot Camp Graduation Photo
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. King,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Group photographs were not considered permanent records unless the photographs were taken by official military photographers usually for publicity. Photographs of various U.S. Navy activities from 1940 to 2007 (that are permanent) are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

Usually, the instructor of a training facility paid for a civilian photographer to come to the base to take pictures, These photographs sometimes are filed in the records of the unit but oftentimes they are just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept.

The Museum of the American Sailor is creating a collection of "Boot Camp" photographs, which the collection is primarily made up of donations. The photograph you seek may have been donated.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful