1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 14, 2020 11:00 AM by Rebecca Collier

May I use Images from Fold3?

Alexandra Florimonte Newbie

Can images of documents from the Revolutionary War, seen on Fold3 be included in a WikiTree profile on that site? I know that Fold3 has an agreement with Ancestry, of which I am a member, and I'm wondering if I also need to be a current member of Fold3 to use these images. Since they are originally from the National Archives, I'm wondering if the images themselves are copyrighted?

The documents I have an interest in are ostensibly one man's petition to be granted a Revolutionary War pension (which he received). The images are in the form of a lengthy letter on his behalf and hold many interesting and historical details which could be very interesting to other genealogists. There is a button to use to save the images to an Ancestry file, but I would like to "save" them to the public WikiTree site. May I do this?

• Re: May I use Images from Fold3?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Florimonte,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

NARA partners with organizations like Fold 3, Ancestry, Family Search and others to increase access to our archival holdings. Typically, a partner digitizes material from NARA's holdings, and retains a digital copy of those records. The partner may integrate that copy into a subscription service and provide enhanced features through their online platform, such as full text searching and indexing. The partner may charge subscribers for this service. NARA also receives a digital copy of the records from the partner, which NARA can release to the public subject to an embargo period. NARA partnership agreements are available at https://www.archives.gov/digitization/partnerships. Each agreement contains more information regarding the embargo period and intellectual property rights.

Even when digitized by a partner, records of the U.S. government are not eligible for copyright protection and are in the public domain (see fold3 Agreement for what is eligible). We suggest that you follow the guidelines on pp. 11-12 in General Information Leaflet No. 17: Citing Records in the National Archives to cite records that you located in fold3 but NARA has custody of the actual records.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful