4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2020 12:38 PM by Mona Smith

Seeking records of William J. Everett

Diane Carter Newbie

William J. Everett, served in the US military (probably navy). His approximate birth year is 1885. I don't know where he was born.  He served in both World Wars. He was an instructor in "military affairs" and discharged in 1943. He was later employed by the VA as a supervisor for canteen and cafeteria service. I gleaned the above information from a news article concerning the marriage of William and a relative (Rachel Scrimsher). I don't know what his middle initial stands for. The cemetery where Rachel is buried has a big stone with "EVERETT" on it. But he is not buried by her. I cannot locate an obituary for either one.

• Re: Seeking records of William J. Everett
          Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Ms. Carter,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 with the information contained in the WWI Draft Card as well as anything further you may have and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

You may also request his Civilian Official Personnel File from the National Archives at St. Louis or Valmeyer, IL depending on when he separated from service.  Please review the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) webpage for more information regarding RL-SL holdings and how to access this information. 

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 person found this helpful
            Mona Smith Newbie

Dear Ms. Carter, We have a William Richard Everett (1881-1965) who married a Dannie Russell Taylor (1884-1960) in our family.  He is buried in Union Cumberland Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Farragut, TN.  There is a chance that your Everett may be linked but I'm not sure without further research.  There were a lot of Scrimsher's that lived in the Loudon County/Sweetwater area.  We do have a Bill Everett who married a Lorena Scrimsher in that same family as well.  Bill is also buried at Union Cemetery, Lorena is still living.  Hopefully this will help you a little.

Best to you!

Mona Smith

Diane Carter Newbie

Dear Mona Smith: Thank you for responding. I rather doubt there is any relation to the William Richard Everett in your tree to the William J. Everett for whom I search. He resided in Oklahoma City in at least 1953 (that is the year he married my relative Rachel Scrimsher). They were both quite old when they married, so no children to that union. The Scrimsher family was in Kansas in the 1880's then participated in one of the "runs" into Oklahoma. They settled in Oklahoma County. The name William Everett is surprisingly common so researching it has been tough, and I don't have a specific year for his birth. I've placed his birth a about 1886. I have no earthly idea where he was born. I've not found him any census. I'll keep after it. Thanks again!

Diane R. Carter