1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 15, 2020 6:32 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking second diagnosis from hospital admission records

Shelly McGinley Newbie

I found my grandfather’s hospital admission on ancestry.com from February 1944.  I had a question regarding his diagnosis.  It says the second diagnosis was withheld by NARA.  I was wondering if it would be possible to find out what the second diagnosis was.  His service number was 37728726.  His name was Everett Leroy McGinley.  Date of birth was 18 July 1914.  Admission date was February 1944 and discharge date was May 1944.  Is there any way of finding out what the diagnosis was? Thank you very much.

• Re: Seeking second diagnosis from hospital admission records
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. McGinley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Hospital Admission Card Files, ca. 1970 - ca. 1970, documenting 1942 - 1954 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112). These records are the source of the data in Ancestry, and are partially restricted under FOIA Exemption 6.  Exemption 6 permits the government to withhold all information about individuals in "personnel and medical files and similar files" when the disclosure of such information "would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy."

To request access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE) via email at cer@nara.gov. If necessary, RDE can advise you on the procedures for requesting a review of this specific record under the provisions of the Freedom of the Information Act.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDE. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!