2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2020 9:27 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking all military records of Richard F Smith

Taylor Smith Newbie

I am looking for my grandfather's full WWI military records including battles and any photos of regiment or company. Richard F. Smith enlisted in Indianapolis, IN on Nov 4, 1917. He served with Company C,1st Repl. Engineer Regiment from 2/14/18 to 4/08/18; Company F, 116th Engineers from 4/09/18 to 6/05/18; and Company C, 117th Engineers from 6/06/18 to 5/11/19.

• Re: Seeking all military records of Richard F Smith
          Joseph Armstrong Wayfarer

Hi Taylor.

Thank you for posting to the History Hub. The information you are requesting will be in several different locations. The first think I would recommend is to get his military record. Once you have the record it would be easier locate the rest of what your are looking for.

His record can be obtained by downloading and completing a Standard Form 180 (https://www.archives.gov/files/sf180-request-pertaining-to-military-records-exp-april2018-1.pdf ).

Once completed you should forward to:

National Personnel Records Center
          1 Archives Drive
          St. Louis, MO 63138

You may also fax the completed form to 314-801-9195

Joe

• Re: Seeking all military records of Richard F Smith
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Taylor Smith,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes the 41st Division with files of the 116th Engineers in Boxes 6-7; and the 42nd Division with files of the 117th Engineers in Boxes 41-42. We also located Records of Engineer Regiments and Battalions, 1912 - 1921 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that may include records of the 116th & 117th Engineers during WWI. For access to and/or copies of these files, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In addition, we located two photographs of the 1st Replacement Engineers during WWI. For additional photographs for WWI, please view the American Unofficial Collection of World War I Photographs, 1917 - 1918 in the Records of the War Department General and Special Staffs (Record Group 165) that have been digitized and are available using the Catalog.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful