1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 17, 2020 8:31 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Board of Inquiry & Courts-Martial about USS Flying Fish

William Whitacre Newbie

How would I gain access to the proceedings of a Board of Inquiry and Courts-Martial files relating to the supposed grounding of the USS Flying Fish (SS-229) in November or December 1950. My father, CDR John Arthur Whitacre (USN) (service number 085390 I believe), was commanding officer from March 4, 1950 - December 22, 1950. I suspect the Board of Inquiry and the Courts-Martial both occurred in early 1951. The Flying Fish was then home-ported in New London. The incident occurred off of the Virginia coast, approaching Norfolk.

• Re: Seeking Board of Inquiry & Courts-Martial about USS Flying Fish
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Whitacre,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the a series titled Court of Inquiry Proceedings, 1909 - 1971 in the Records of the Office of the Judge Advocate General (Navy) (Record Group 125) that are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). For access to these records, please contact RDT1 via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

We also located Navy General Courts-Martial Records, 1951 - 1976 in the Records of the Office of the Judge Advocate General (Navy) (Record Group 125) that are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Please contact them for access to these records. Their email address is stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful