1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 10, 2020 10:48 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking PHS records of father

Steven Schwimmer Newbie

My father was physician in the USPHS (US Public Health Service) as an officer, from 1949 to 1957. He had multiple assignments, including deploying with the Coast Guard during the Korean War. He treated patients with syphilis around 1950 at the Marine Hospital in Staten Island where I was born. I have official certificates from throughout this period. I have a copy of his death certificate. I have been to the NARA page listing records of the USPHS going back to its founding in 1798. I would like to know how to go about finding records pertaining to him and also for the assignments he was in.

• Re: Seeking PHS records of father
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Schwimmer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Personnel records of Public Health Service Commissioned Corps officers are available upon request by completing a GSA SF 180 and mailing it to the Division of Commissioned Corps Officer Support, ATTN: Records Officer, 1101 Wooton Parkway, Plaza Level, Suite 100, Rockville, MD 20852. Their web site is https://www.usphs.gov/.

We searched the National Archives Catalog for records relating to the Staten Island Hospital during the 1950s and located Annual Reports of Hospitals, 1951 - 1968 and Annual Reports Regarding Hospitals and Outpatient Clinics, 1951 - 1969 in the Records of the Public Health Service (Record Group 90). For more information about these records, contact the  National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!