1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 22, 2020 12:21 PM by Joshua Schroeder

    Seeking war record of John R Hartley


      Hello, I am searching for information on my father's World War II war records. His name is John R Hartley. He was born on February 12, 1912/13 in  Dunville ,Newfoundland, Canada. I have obtained a copy of the War Ships that my father served on during the war. I am hoping to get some help to find his records or medals. Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking war record of John R Hartley
          Joshua Schroeder Wayfarer

          Dear Ms. Newman,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If your father served in the Canadian Armed Forces during World War II, we suggest you contact the Library and Archives of Canada, 395 Wellington Street, Ottawa, ON  K1A 0N4, Canada.


          If your father served in the United States Navy, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 and officers who were separated from service after 1902 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!