4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2020 2:05 PM by Cara Jensen

Where was William Boyd born & where did he live?

Eleanor Wright Newbie

I am looking for information about the ethnicity of my great great grandfather, William Boyd. Where he was born (ca. 1770) and where he lived prior to 1820?

• Re: Where was William Boyd born & where did he live?
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Eleanor,

Thanks for posting on History Hub.

Need more information please.

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

Eleanor Wright Newbie

Thank you for reaching out to me.  I do not know where William Boyd (1770- ?) was born.  The only record I have found that might be him is in Dutch Reformed Church Records 1639-1989.  There is a William Boyd and Geer??? Vandeworken listed as parents for Marytje b. March 13 but no year listed.  In an Ancestry tree, William Boyd is listed as father of Marytje as well as a William Boyd.  I know that William B. Boyd (1794-1880) who is my 2nd great grandfather lived in Grove, Allegheny County, New York, according to an 1850 non-population census, and his birthplace was listed as New York.  In subsequent census reports, William B. Boyd's birthplace is listed as follows:  1855 NY census--Orange Co. New York; 1860 US census--New York; 1865 NY Census--Orange Co. New York; 1875 NY Census--Penn;  I also found a record of his being married in Owasco, Cayuga Co. NY. As I would like to determine where William B. Boyd was born and learn more about his father's birthplace as well as my other Boyd ancestors.  My father, LaDetter Elno Boyd (1911-2001), referred to his family as coming to western NY from Pennsylvania but other than the one reference in the 1875 NY census, I cannot confirm this. Please let me know if this is sufficient information about my Boyd ancestors.

Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Wright,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To ensure that you keep the lines and birth places for William Boyd’s family straight, we suggest that you compile the vital records for each generation, using the parent names from the official records to begin searching for the previous generation, etc. 

The Federal Government does not ordinarily create or maintain birth, death, marriage or divorce records. Such records are made and kept by State and local governments rather than the National Archives. Most online resources for New York Vital Records are indexes. Copies of the microfiche index to vital records certificates held by the NYS Department of Health are located at the following locations.  After locating a person in an index, always consult the original record to confirm the information in the index.

Since you have a birth place of Orange County, NY for William B. Boyd (1794-1880), we suggest that you review the FamilySearch research wiki for Orange County, New York Genealogy  as well as the wiki for New York Vital Records Genealogy  to begin your search.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!