2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2020 10:42 AM by Holly Rivet

    Looking for military records of Walter Burgett


      I’m looking for my maternal grandfather’s military records.. His name is Walter Burgett from Columbus, Cherokee County, KS. He served in the early 1900s.

        • Re: Looking for military records of Walter Burgett
          joan stachnik Tracker

          HI Christina, Familysearch.org (free after registration) has a WWI draft card for Walter Franklin Burgett from Columbus, Cherokee Co. KS.  It might be of some help in your search. joan WWI draft card

          • Re: Looking for military records of Walter Burgett
            Holly Rivet Tracker

            Dear Ms. Stiles,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 with the information contained in the WWI Draft Card as well as anything further you may have and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!



            Holly Rivet

            1 person found this helpful