1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 17, 2020 1:40 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking my father and deportation regulations


      Since my father was deported in 1957, when could he get back into the states?  I know he was in the states for his mother's funeral in 1965.  He also entered Canada in 1965-1966 and fathered a child then.  Somehow he was using a different name, his stepfather's last name.  How can someone get a passport with a different name than what is on their birth certificate?  He was naturalized around 1947, so is he a US citizen?  How can he be deported?  I cannot find him and I'm sure by now he is dead, he was born in 1931.  I just need to know what happened and where.

        • Re: Seeking my father and deportation regulations
          Rebecca Collier Guide

          Dear Ms. Dury,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Since he was naturalized in 1947, his declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located. To ensure a successful request with the National Archives, you should include the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin. In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). All INS records are now overseen by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).


          We suggest that you submit a request to USCIS in order to obtain any records that exist. Begin by searching the Index through the USCIS Genealogy Program. Please be sure to include any known name variants and any known variants for dates (ex. DOB, etc) in your request to ensure a thorough search.


          If he was a naturalized citizen, it is certainly possible that INS could have revoked his citizenship in 1957.  Based on the time frame, any action of that nature likely would have been recorded in an Alien File (A-File).  It is unlikely that the A-File would provide any records related to his U.S. Passport, but could shed light on name changes.  Again, that record would still be under the purview of USCIS.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful