1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 10, 2020 11:30 AM by Cara Jensen

Looking for information on Whit Fleming

Tammy Plummer Newbie

I am looking for information on Whit Fleming. I was told that he was born in Alabama on April 25,1885 and died in Oklahoma on Sept 6, 1945. I am looking for information on his family in Alabama and Louisiana. I know that on his death certificate it lists his father as Casey Fleming and his mother as Sally Bankhead. I have been unsuccessful in finding any information on him or them. I am looking for anything. I was told that they left Alabama headed to Louisiana. I am looking for any information prior to the 1920 census which is when I first found him with his wife Nettie Killin Fleming.

• Re: Looking for information on Whit Fleming
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Plummer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since Whit Fleming was born in 1885, he may be listed beginning in the 1890 Census. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1890 Census,  the Population Schedules for the 1900 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may include information on Whit Fleming.  Even though the original 1890 population schedules were destroyed or badly damaged by a fire in the Department of Commerce in Washington in 1921, there are some fragments from Alabama that could be searched. Some of these schedules have been digitized in part. For access to the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov. The census schedules may list names and ages for family members residing with Whit Fleming that you may use for further research. For more information about the census, we suggest reviewing NARA’s Search Census Records Online and Other Resources web pages.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We also suggest that you review the FamilySearch Research wiki for Alabama genealogy as well as the African American Resources for Alabama. The Alabama Department of Archives & History has resources that you may search for African American genealogy detailed in this brochure.  In addition, the document  Federal Records that Help Identify Former Slaves and Slave Owners may be helpful. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!