5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2020 5:41 PM by Paula Hogan

Looking for where my father was stationed

Paula Hogan Newbie

I'm trying to find it where my father was stationed in the US Navy during 1964. His name is Oscar Andrew Crawford and was born in 1925 in North Carolina.

• Re: Looking for where my father was stationed
          Carl Urich Wayfarer

Good afternoon Paula.

To obtain copies of the veteran's service records, you may download and complete a Standard Form 180 (https://www.archives.gov/files/sf180-request-pertaining-to-military-records-exp-april2018-1.pdf ).

You may then mail the completed form to the National Personnel Records Center at the following address:

National Personnel Records Center
          1 Archives Drive
          St. Louis, MO 63138

You may also fax the completed form to 314-801-9195

Thanks

Carl Urich

Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Hogan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Paula Hogan Newbie

UPDATE:

I found out my father's ship came to the port of San Diego, California in May 1943. I forget the name of the ship but it's 4 letters and starts with a V. I do have the name but I have to search my messages. It came from either New Zealand or Australia. I have a copy of his enlistment paper when he signed up to join the US Navy. And the paper (kinda resembles a census but it's not)  that shows the name of his ship and it says New Zealand so that's where I think it sailed from.

He stayed in california and lived here for many years and was still here in 1964, when I was born. He married, had 2 daughters (3 if you count me), then divorced sometime before 1964. Because his ex wife remarried in 1964.

As far as I know, he was buried in South Carolina. He died in 1982 at the young age of 58. He was born November 6, 1924.  I was born in November 1964 so he was 40 when I was born. My sister's names are Linda (passed away) and Carol (don't know if she is living or passed away). Linda has a daughter named Mary. I wish I could find out if Carol is alive and how to contact her. I wish I had a photo of my sister's and of my father. I was sent a photo of my grandmother. My father's mother, by a distant cousin who I contacted. She had contacted me a few years ago because we are a match, but we didn't know what side of the family we matched with or who, at that time. When I found out that info, I contacted her and her records matched what I knew. She sent what she had on my father, but unfortunately, no photos....