2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2020 1:34 AM by Joseph Armstrong

    Seeking domestic military investigation records


      I'm trying to verify a family story related to my great-grandfather, who was drafted into the Army in WWII, through Fort Bragg. The story is that he supposedly caught a soldier in bed with his wife and shot the guy before fleeing with his family to Baltimore. I've been working with a genealogist and have basic information now to help pin the story down, along with a clipping of a story identifying an officer found shot to death at the right time. The potential soldier went missing on 24 Aug 1954. I'm thinking relevant records would be held by the Army, as the particular news clipping indicates that Army officials ID-ed the body. BUT, the story does mention that the body was examined by a county coroner, so maybe it was non-military. Just with the guy being an officer and with a gun found near the body that's listed as "a rusty .45 caliber Army-type pistol," I thought military was more likely to have information to help solve the case. I should also mention that I have no clue about this guy's military service record. I have his draft card and enlistment info, but I don't know when he was discharged or if it was honorable or not. Maybe someone on here knows what the process was like for WWII vets who had been drafted after the war ended. I'm planning to request his service record, but in the meantime, thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with looking into this sort of thing.

        • Re: Seeking domestic military investigation records
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

          Dear Ms. Miles,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The information you seek may be contained in the person’s Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


          Further, you may want to make some inquiries at the local county clerk or circuit clerk offices. In some cases, local community historical societies have gone through old records and noted relevant information. However, it does vary from one county to another, one state to another.  Also, local newspapers might be useful sources. Generally speaking, if an incident occurred off-base, it would have been a civilian matter with military liaison involved.


          We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking domestic military investigation records

            Hi Sarah,


            Thank you for posting to the History Hub.


            It appears from your writing that your Great-grandfather was drafted after the war and after serving two years, was discharged. If this is the case and assuming his discharge was before 1954, the Army would have no jurisdiction in the case. The local police would have handled everything. This would have been the case, even if the Officer was shot on the base.


            Good luck on your search for information.